Here are the Top 10 Spy Stories of 2014:
10. Regin Malware Infects Computers in Russia, Saudi Arabia and Others
- The 'Cutting edge" malware program "Regin" monitored Russian and Saudi computer networks, among others, and it is suspected the US or Israel created it.
- Foreign countries expressed reluctance to hire US companies over fears of data security.
- Internet heavyweights Google, Facebook, Twitter and others supported an NSA reform bill in Congress that was eventually voted down.
- Military battles between superpowers isn't feasible but cyber wars are. North Korea, China, and Russia among others attacked computer systems in the US raising questions about how to respond.
- For the first time ever, the US leveled criminal charges against a foreign nation for cyber hacking trade secrets from companies.
Sony Hack by North Korea and/or Others
- The Sony hack story, perpetrated probably by North Korea, prompted some to proclaim that the First Cyber War is now upon us.
- The Cuba spy swap precipitated a relative warming of relations between the US and Cuba.
- Without question the biggest spy story of the year, the fallout of the release of this report affected virtually every country in the world.